Big difference between natural and vegan brushes
This is one of the biggest debates in the industry – what’s the difference and benefits of natural or vegan / synthetic makeup brushes? Is a natural fibre makeup brush better than a vegan makeup brush?
At Blank Canvas Cosmetics, we cater for both and we’re here to set the record straight!
Natural makeup brushes are made from natural hairs (e.g. goat, horse, boars and such). We prefer high quality and cruelty free. It’s important that you are aware of the cruelty free methods to creating a natural makeup brush. At Blank Canvas we only use natural hairs that have a cruelty free process. We do love our natural brushes, so do many professional makeup artists as they are perfect for precision and powder application. However, we have developed a range of high performing vegan and synthetic makeup brushes, in fact many are award winning!
Advantages and disadvantages to natural makeup brushes
What are the benefits of a natural makeup brush?
- Pick up and distribute pigment easier
- Works wonders when it comes to product powders
- Incredibly soft & feel amazing when applying make-up
- Makeup application can feel like a mini pamper session
What are the disadvantages to natural makeup brushes?
- Sensitive skin or allergies – if you have allergies to some animals or animal hair this type of makeup brush is a no-no.
- Natural brushes may not be the absolute best when it comes to liquid or cream products, they soak up product in the pores.
- Natural shedding over time, during makeup application and when cleaning.
- Always check they are cruelty free – Blank Canvas is 100% cruelty free!
Advantages and disadvantages to synthetic / vegan makeup brushes
What are the advantages of synthetic / vegan makeup brushes?
- Generally cheaper than natural makeup brushes
- Much easier to thoroughly clean
- Don’t damage as easily as natural fibres, ideal for heavy use
- Work amazingly well with liquid and cream products
- Absorb less products during use – less waste!
- Man-made materials, therefore most are vegan / cruelty free
What are the disadvantages of synthetic / vegan makeup brushes?
- Picks up and distributes less pigment from powder products than natural.
- Synthetic bristles are often made of nylon or polyester which may aggravate some skin more than natural brushes would.
We also have vegan makeup palettes & Gift sets!
So, which brush is best? Natural vs Synthetic (Vegan) Makeup Brushes
Well, that may be a hard question to answer. Your makeup brush is an investment and at times can be a tough decision. Just like finding the right moisturizer or foundation can take time, finding the perfect brush type can take a lot of careful thought. If makeup application and precision is important to you, natural brushes may be the way to go. If vegan attributes and easy maintenance are important, synthetic brushes will be the best choice. Which brush type is your favourite?